Tuesday, January 13, 2015

How to use humor on the job? (Part 1)

Do you want to distinguish yourself in the workplace and be able to function more effectively there? Consider using humor. Whether you use it during a presentation, on the telephone, or in personal interactions, humor can break the ice and set the tone for your audience. Below are a few tips on effectively using humor at work. For more information, I recommend the book A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Boardroom, by Michael Iapoce.

hospitality manpower supply from Vietnam Manpower JSC

1. Make fun of yourself
So with all the potential minefields out there, what CAN be a good source of humor? If you're comfortable and secure enough, I suggest making fun of yourself. Doing so can lower barriers between you and your audience by demonstrating that you're just another person. More subtly, it can show that you're sure and secure about yourself.

I once was one of two keynote speakers and was preceding Scott Waddle, the former commander of the submarine U.S.S. Greeneville. In 2001, the Greeneville struck and sank a Japanese fishing boat, killing nine people. I began my talk by asking the audience, "Who's eager to hear Commander Waddle?" As I expected, everyone in the room raised their hands. "That means, "I continued, "that you can't wait for me to finish."

hospitality manpower supply from Vietnam Manpower JSC

2. Defuse embarrassment and tension
My father once gave a presentation in which he referenced Worcester Polytechnic Institute, pronouncing the first word correctly as "Woo-ster." His manager's manager, upon hearing that word, interrupted, saying to my father that the correct pronunciation was actually "Woo-ches-ter." Though this "correction " was actually incorrect, my father did not say so. Instead, he responded, "Sorry, Murray, please forgive me. English is only my fifth language."

As you might expect, the room erupted in laughter. In looking back on that incident, my father always said his response was superior to correcting his boss's boss in public and that it defused the embarrassment and tension of the situation.

3. Cope with unpleasant situations
I once needed to make a telephone call but had forgotten my cell phone. With my daughter in tow, I entered the lobby of an apartment building that I knew had a pay phone. An elderly member of our church had lived there before she passed on, and our family would visit her from time to time. I picked up the telephone, and as I started to dial, I saw a security guard approach me. I waved to him, smiled, and said, "It's okay." At that point, the guard glared at me, said, "No, it's not okay," and ordered us to leave.

4. Be aware of potential misinterpretation
When you make a humorous remark, particularly a joking insult, remember that it could be taken seriously. This possibility increases when the joke is made via e-mail, where body language and facial expressions do not accompany the words. If you really have the urge to use humor in e-mail, make sure to include emoticons, such as the smiley face, or LOL acronyms.

Believe it or not, when my father finished his presentation, people came up to him and asked him if he knew five languages. If some people can misread humor even in a face-to-face encounter, imagine how much worse it could be with e-mail, voicemail, or the telephone.

Instead of being upset by that incident (although I did write a letter to the CEO of the management company for that apartment), my daughter and I turned it into a joke. I would make a mock apology to her, saying, for example, "Rayna, they didn't have chocolate ice cream, so I bought vanilla. I hope that's okay." Rayna would feign anger, shake her head and say, "No, it's NOT okay."
Are you at the help desk? Do you sometimes have abusive callers? Do those callers have certain pet phrases they use? Maybe you could incorporate the phrases into your daily language (out of their hearing, of course). Or you could start an over/under pool on how long it takes for them to become upset.

5. Avoid inappropriate humor
The greatest danger in using humor is basing it on an inappropriate subject. Stay away from subjects related to race, religion, or sexual topics. Otherwise, you risk not only offending your audience (and hence compromising your credibility) but also being subject to disciplinary action.
-------------------------------------
Hospitality manpower supply from Vietnam Manpower JSC
Your partner for Success



1 comment: