Thursday, January 15, 2015

How to use humor on the job? (Part 2)

Last days, we knew some tips to use humor on job. Now we will learn more techniques to get success at work.
6. Observe the rule of threes
Have you ever noticed how many jokes involve a minister, a priest, and a rabbi? Or a member of ethnic groups 1, 2, and 3? An old saying tells us that "A cord of three strands is not easily broken." Triangular structures are among the strongest ones possible. The number three represents symmetry and completeness. Therefore, when developing your humor, try to involve three elements. For example, when I give presentations on communications lessons we can learn from the Titanic disaster, I don't simply say "I use as an example the Titanic because my daughters say I'm a loser." I say, instead:
I use as an example the Titanic for three reasons: It's something everyone knows, I enjoy studying and discussing it, and My daughters say I'm a loser.
manpower services from Vietnam Manpower JSC

7. Say what people are thinking (but won't say themselves)
Dilbert creator, Scott Adams, once remarked that this idea provides many of his cartoon subjects. When you verbalize what everyone else is thinking, you in effect "take the hit" for them, allowing them the privilege of laughing. In my previous example, where I was preceding Commander Waddle, it's quite possible the audience was more familiar with him than with me. When I made my joke, I was saying to them, in effect, "I know what you're thinking, and it's okay."
manpower services from Vietnam Manpower JSC

8. Delay the punchline until the end
The impact of humor is greatest when you can delay the punchline as long as possible. For example, instead of telling an audience they have to write clearly enough "so that even a judge can understand it," tell them that they have to write clearly enough "so that it can be understood, even by a judge."
manpower services from Vietnam Manpower JSC

9. Poke fun at a boss or other authority figure
As long as you don't go overboard, making fun of the boss is usually a safe approach. In fact, doing so pays a backhanded compliment to the boss, by recognizing that he or she has sufficient prominence to merit such attention. I recommend, as above, avoiding joking about race or religion or physical characteristics of the boss. The safest topics are probably intelligence and business acumen (or lack thereof).
Manpower services from Vietnam Manpower JSC

10. Don't tip your hand
An important reason business humor works is the absence of expectations. People are expecting a business presentation, not a monologue from Jay Leno. Any appropriate humor you can generate usually will succeed. Therefore, if you're about to use humor, never tell the audience, "I'm going to tell you a joke now" or "Here's a joke that makes my point." Just start into the joke as if you're giving your regular presentation.

Also, use local details whenever possible. If you're in Washington, don't say "I was walking down the street." Say instead, "I was walking west on K St., approaching Washington Circle, by The George Washington University Hospital." Don't say, "I exited the subway." Say instead, "I exited the Metro at Judiciary Square." These details add to the credibility of the story, increasing the element of surprise and hence the impact of the joke.
manpower services from Vietnam Manpower JSC

-------------------------------
Hospitality manpower supply from Vietnam Manpower JSC
Your partner for Success



0 comments:

Post a Comment